Friday, March 02, 2012

Click Here. Listen Now. Common sense on the march!

EVERYBODY!  LET'S HIGH FIVE THIS GUY. SEND HIM A CUPCAKE. OR A "GREAT JOB AT BEING A HUMAN BEING" LETTER. 

That's what I'm doing.

(the letter thing, at least.)


When I heard this on the radio this morning, I nearly crashed by car in shock. A politician, nay, a Republican politician, breaking ranks and following his inner good sense instead of being lead around on a leash by big business interests.  HOLY SMOKES!

What he's doing makes so much sense, it really almost turned me blind, I'm so not used to hearing this. Short summary: they want to build a huge open-pit mine in northern Wisconsin. It will bring jobs to the area, so most people are for it. Schultz is for it. But they have to rewrite mining regulations in the process. So Senator Schultz, seeing that reforms & legislations were being rushed through too quickly to dissect, were going too far in some cases, and just generally "heavy on what the mining company wants, and weak on public input", put the brakes on, voted against party lines, and therefore swung the vote.


WHOA.

As Schultz is quoted: 

 “It was quite clear.that the people are interested in mining and mining jobs, they just want it done right. I think one person summed it up pretty well, and I’ve heard Senator Jauch say this before, we want the mine – we fear the mine. And our job is to put together a framework for operation and oversight that should give people confidence”

Fucking balls!

(pardon my french).

I just get so amped when I see people with backbone these days.  As he goes on to explain why that is not the case with his peers: 

 “But what I have seen lately has been disheartening....I’ve watched as more and more of my legislator colleagues are reluctant to speak their minds for fear that they’re going to become a target and I think that’s bad for all of us, regardless of what issues we have,” Schultz says."


cupcakes. high-fives. great job at being a decent, thoughtful human being and caring for your community and our collective health and well-being letter. He deserves all that. We need to encourage things like this!

GREAT JOB DALE SCHULTZ.


Seriously you guys, listen to this story. You gotta hear the full thing. I don't care where you live, this is not a local issue, this is an example of a small victory for common sense.




No comments:

Post a Comment