Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bike to Work Week

It’s Bike to Work Week here in Milwaukee, sponsored and promoted by the Bicycle Federation of Milwaukee. Since my new assignment has me working just south of downtown, and a quick 2.7 miles from my place, I’ve been all over biking to work and this coordinated event is just a landmark to keep me going.

I ride a gold Trek Pure, sort of an old man bike, I admit. But like most things, I absolutely don’t base my decisions on popular trends – bike styles or otherwise. So yeah, no fix gear for this girl. Having a big cruiser suits me great because I can sit upright, and so I don’t have that pushing pressure on my shoulders and wrists. I have a big seat, and so avoid tired bike butt syndrome. And I even have a rearview mirror, which is a must for riding in city traffic because you are constantly aware of the cars surrounding you on all angles. Ooh, and my bike rack and hanging bike bag – perfect for trips to the farmers market or whole foods or the library, all places I frequent especially in summer months. So yeah – fat tire cruiser. Perfect for me – a city biker who mostly rides for distance and pleasure. Not speed.

So that is the anatomy of my steed. The second crucial component to biking to work is figuring out what to wear. It’s gotta be versatile – bike friendly and work appropriate. Bike friendly = no skirts, gotta have legging or pants that are stretchy. And then there’s a matter of a top that I can layer up with something else because it’s hot while riding in and don’t want to sweat too much, but gotta layer on something that’s OK and dressy for the office once I do get there. So yeah, a lot of cotton and stretch and swapping of layers.

So I stuff my bag/briefcase type thing into my bike bag. I put my Stone Creek coffee I make each morning into a thermal water bottle and stuff that inside too. I get my helmet on, my shades on, and I launch down the sidewalk. I’ve mapped my optimal route and luckily it’s mostly downhill in the morning route. I can leave my house at 8:00 and be in my desk chair by 8:30. Love it. Absolutely love it.

So all this week, I’ve stopped by the Alterra that has been hosting morning commuters with a tent for coffee and pastry (and conveniently already on my way). Today I also got BFW 2011 bike ride / map guide. So lots of bike rides ahead of me - (lord willing) – recreational and commuting.



No comments:

Post a Comment